Monday, April 22, 2013

Revamp Your Rountine: 4 Exercise Absolutes #3

During the month of March, despite the cold and dreary weather of Southwestern Pennsylvania, I managed to get myself to the gym Monday through Friday at 5am, getting a complete workout in 5 days per week.

We know that all workouts are not created equal; and everyone will tell you they have the best one for you.  Quality workouts will always have a couple of things in common. Here are the four exercise absolutes to help you shape your routine that I have implemented over my past month of successful exercise 

3. Re-Fuel the Tank

I am always amazed at the misconceptions people have about what to eat before or after their workout. I actually had a personal trainer tell me once that it didn’t matter what I ate as long as I built the proper amount of muscle that could burn off the calories. This is so far from the truth that it took everything I had not to burst out laughing in his face. Of course it matters what we eat and how much of it! Just try putting diesel fuel into a Ferrari and see how well it runs (that is an expensive example - do not try that at home). There are three things that I am sure to re-fuel my body with daily, but especially on days when I hit the gym hard. 

a.       Water

I know you have heard me harp on this many times before, but so many people are chronically dehydrated. Drink as many ounces of water as you weigh in kilograms (Note: Take your weight in pounds and divide by 2.2 to get your weight in kilograms). It is really not hard to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Just keep a bottle next to you at all times and take a drink every few minutes. When the bottle is empty, go fill it back up. Do NOT count coffee, soda, or energy drinks toward your water intake. Water and only water should be counted. 

b.      B-Vitamins

Many people suffer from chronic muscle soreness and working out only aggravates that soreness. If you find a muscle group is still sore 3 or 4 days after you worked out, you most likely are not getting enough B-vitamins in your diet. They are important in so many body functions including nerve conduction, energy metabolism, and blood cell production, just to name a few. B-vitamins can be found in many healthy foods such as whole grains, beans, certain fruits and vegetables, eggs, and meats. I personally like to take a daily B-vitamin supplement (these are what I use) to be certain I am getting enough with my physically demanding lifestyle. Alcohol and processed sugar will affect the absorption and use of B-vitamins in the body, so minimize and avoid the use of these products if you wish to maximize B-vitamin utilization in the body. 

c.       Protein

Proteins are the building blocks of life. They are responsible for all the enzymes that assist in body functions and are the building blocks for our physical structure, including skeleton, skin, and muscle. There is much debate over how much protein is actually needed in our diet on a daily basis. This number, which can range from 40-100 grams per day, changes drastically with your weight, your health goals, and your gender. I like to focus more on the quality protein sources rather than the overall amount. Beans, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, eggs, chicken, turkey, and fish are all excellent sources of protein. Notice I mentioned some vegetables in there. Although they are not complete proteins, they still offer much needed protein for the body. Be sure not to consume more than 10-15 grams of protein in a single sitting, because your digestive tract can only absorb about 10 grams per hour. Focus on eating the quality foods I mentioned above in small meals throughout your day and you should not have an issue with eating the right amount of protein for you.

Re-fueling is an important part of your exercise routine, so don't forget about it until you are running on empty! Giving your body the right nutrition is an important key to getting and staying healthy.

This is the third of four exercise absolutes to help you revamp your routine and get the most out of whatever exercise routine you choose. Check back next week for the fourth and final absolute. 

Dr. Dan Turo is the owner and chiropractor of Turo Family Chiropractic located in the North Hills of Pittsburgh, PA. Follow him on facebook and twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment